friday craft day : valentine’s playdough

Our Friday Craft Day last week was so much fun!
Just some homemade playdough in cute Valentine’s colors. Throw in some DIY cookie cutters, tooth picks, a rolling pin, a few butter knives for the big kids & it was a playdough party!

The kids had fun making playdough heart ‘cookies’ (for over an hour I might add) in honor of Valentine’s day. We had one small heart cookie cutter I’d brought from home & a search around most of the shops on the island didn’t turn up any others so I searched online for some ideas on possibly making our own. I found a few tutorials on making cookie cutters out of an aluminum pan, so we gave it a try.
**cut edges of aluminum can be a little bit sharp, suitable for older children or with the help of an adult
All you’ll need to make your own cookie cutters:
an aluminum pan
scissors
tape, a glue gun, etc
(something to hold your cookie cutter shape together)
I began by cuttting a strip off the top of one aluminum pan, leaving the rounded edge in tact on one edge so  we’d have a smooth edge to handle when using our cookie cutter. You could also cut a strip from the bottom of the aluminum pan, fold over one edge and leave the other one sharp for doing the cutting.
Next, I molded the aluminum strip into the shape of a heart, taped it together and voila. A heart cookie cutter. Create your own custom shapes using this same method or try using items you can find around the house as cookie cutters.
-an empty tuna can
-a toilet paper/paper towel roll
-using a plastic knife or butter knife trace around objects to create your own custom shapes (trace children’s hands, shapes they’ve drawn & cut out on paper, a children’s toy)
(my favorite playdough recipe)
Kool-Aid Playdough

1 cup flour

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid

¼ cup salt

2 Tbsp cream of tartar

1 cup water

Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid in a medium saucepan. Add water and oil. Stir over medium heat 3-5 minutes. When mixture forms a ball in pan remove. Knead until smooth. Put in plastic bag and refrigerate.

Here’s a few more fun things you can do with playdough:

-use toothpicks to draw designs on your playdough shapes or make
 playdough shish kabobs
-try some playdough nature printing
-here are 10 ideas to get the most fun from play dough

-these ideas are cute too.

What fun crafty things have you been up to
 with the kiddos this week?

Link up below and share those fabulous ideas with us!

linking up here

Comments

Thanks for sharing this great recipe! I’ll have to try it with my kids next week. Your colors are GREAT for Valentine’s Day! What flavors did you use? I alway look forward to your kid’s craft posts.

@Donna

Hi Donna. Do try this recipe and let me know how it works for you. It has turned out perfectly every time I’ve made it so I keep on coming back to this recipe! I used cherry, strawberry & ice blue raspberry lemonade…aren’t the colors fun!> :)

Beautiful colors. Now IF I had children, AND access to a ready supply of kool-aid (not available in the UK except from specialist shops AND cost more than I would like to pay) I would make me some just for picture taking. LOL Going to share this with my niece.

Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday and commenting. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog!! I cannot wait to read more and am now following you via GFC. How do I get my hands on a copy of your scrapbooking book? It said it was discontinued. If you are still selling copies, let me know. I’d love one. And I think we’ll need to make this play dough this weekend; thanks for the idea and instructions!

Thanks for linking through to NurtureStore, I’m really pleased you liked our ideas. Play dough is one of our all time favourite acitvities, so many ways to use it and a lovely way for children to enjoy some chilled out sensory play.

I can’t believe you made your own cookie cutters! Love the dough!

Thank you so much for linking to the Virtual Valentine’s Day Party on my blog. Please take a moment between now and the end of the party Monday night to visit a few of the other party guests. I would love to everyone who linked up to have other guests stop by for a visit.

Remember if you visit two guests and leave me a comment that you did you could win a $15 Visa Gift Card.

Lovely colors and thanks for sharing recipe for playdough! I hope you don’t mind I posted about this on my blog. I gave you credit and had them come to you for the recipe. :)