This Basic Buttercream Frosting Recipe is the only frosting recipe you’ll ever need! It’s light, fluffy and turns out perfectly every time!
I love decorating cupcakes for my kids parties and we always make the same frosting. Let me rephrase that, my husband always makes the same frosting. He’s the designated frosting aficionado in our home. We make the perfect pair! He makes the frosting and I use it to decorate.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
- Cream softened butter until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in powdered sugar until mixed completely.
- Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in vanilla / almond extract.
This basic buttercream frosting recipe is the one we use every time for cupcake decorating. We used it for these Snow Princess cupcakes, monster cupcakes and most recently these cute fox cupcakes.
The recipe calls for vanilla – but here’s our secret ingredient: almond extract. I just love the pop of flavor the almond extract gives the frosting.