Keep a record of your travels with a quick and simple DIY pocket size travel journal. Make ahead and take with you on your next trip to fill with memories.
Before leaving on my trip to Queensland, Australia last month I shared a sneak peek at the mini travel journal I’d put together to take with me. I’m just finishing up my little album by adding the photos and journaling and wanted to share with you how its come together.
Here’s what it looked like then.
Here’s what it’s looking like now.
The album includes photos and point form journaling along with a few bits of memorabilia from the trip. Because the album is so little it was easy to take with me to Australia and when I had time I was able to add a bit of journaling while everything was fresh in my mind and save the rest of the work for when I got home.
Small notepad to use for album cover
Orange Polka dot Paper / Washi Tape
Make your own Pocket Travel Journal
1. Find an inexpensive notebook/notepad to use for your album housing. I found mine at the dollar store.
2. Remove the inside pages from the notebook/notepad using a ruler and exacto knife and cover the inside with patterned paper. View the short video below for more details.
3. Choose a variety of coordinating papers in a cute colour scheme and create your album pages to fit inside your album cover. All of my album pages measure 3.5′ X 5.5″
4. I chose to put all my album pages together before my trip and take them with me to add journaling while in Australia. Keeping my album size small made it ideal for travel. Here are what my pages looked like before adding photos/journaling:
5. I used a variety of scraps of pattern paper, premade journaling spots and labels from Elle’s Studio and chipboard stickers to create the pages. I attached different elements using a gluestick or simply stapled them onto the page. 6. As a final touch you could use a rounded corner punch to round all the corners of your pages or just a couple corners like I did. 7. Tuck all your pages in order into your album cover, secure with an elastic and that’s it! A cute and simple way to record your travel memories! For another view of my mini travel album you can watch the following video.
If you have any questions about the album I’d love to answer them, just leave me a comment or shoot me a quick email!
For more Travel Inspiration Visit these Posts
A Quick List of Travel Photography Tips
50 Photos to Take on your next Vacation
What Families Gain from Time Spent Outdoors
5 Tips for Capturing Scenic Travel Photos
Tips for Capturing your Family in the Great Outdoors
Partycraft Secrets says
Looks amazing – and congrats on the video insert! Clever you! x
Linda @ http://partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com/
Love the video blog post! Good Job!
Elise Ann Wormuth says
I love your travel journal and wish that I had started early enough to make mine (we’re leaving on Friday). Excellent project!
Rebecca, this is so very cute and useful!! Thanks for sharing your creativity with us!!
the mini travel journal is a great idea. i make my own for the next trip to London, thanks for the tutorial
Laura Lou says
this is a great idea 🙂 i made a travel journal myself and now i have more inspiration to fill in the last sites
thanks! it’s so nice! great idea
Laura O'Donnell says
That’s so adorable!
It is beautiful, I love it!
Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies (please, notice the new url for my blog), under the Page 8 post on Jul. 24, 2012. Thanks again.
Great video blog! And I love this idea! I’m thinking I might give this a try…it goes right along with my Project Life album! Thanks! =)
Gina @ Gigi Marie Photography says
I love this Rebecca & it was go great to hear your voice. I feel like I know you all the more now.
Hope your week is off to a great start!
That is so cute! Thank you for sharing! It was fun to hear your voice on your vlog! You are so super talented!
Emma's Momma says
I loved your little travel journal. I liked you up on my pintrest already!! Your cards also look like perfect layouts for project life cards.
I LOVE every little thing about this! Color, patterns, embellishments, EVERYTHING! Travel Journal = Perfection!
I love the journal and your choice of colors! Thanks for the inspiration!
Wow, you’re so crafty and creative. I’m in awe. I wish I could take you with me on all my trips so you could whip up these cute journals for me.
Tami Marie says
This is amazing!! I have to do this for myself as I document the fun I am having exploring my country. Thank you for sharing this.
this is SO cute! i want to make one right now 🙂 i love that you posted a video with it too.
I love a travel journal. I have one from Japan and read it with fond memories! Thanks for sharing!
what an adorable book!!!
How to tell you… heu… I’m love with your mini journal: size, colours, cleaver, ponytail… I will follow you and hope to see more of your cute and simple inspiration, thanks
XOXO, Lilou from France
Gorgeous mini album. Great colour choices & perfect use of mini cards.
This is such a great idea! I love how you’ve styled it! xx
So doing this for my trips! First up is St. John in u.s. virgin islands….thanks so much for the awesome idea! Now i can remember all the memories.
Mary Mentzer says
Great idea! i make my own for the next trip to London, thanks for the tutorial
I love how you’ve styled it. This is such a great idea!
This is SO cute! Thanks for sharing with us!