While looking to add a little bit of healthy variety to our lunch menu, my sister in law shared a pizza bun recipe with me and it was just the thing I was looking for!
Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until double in size. Remove dough from bowl. Separate into three equal parts.
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 3-4½ cups flour
- In a bowl combine water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt. Stir. Add half your flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour until dough pulls away from edges of the bowl when mixing and it isn’t sticky.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until double in size. Remove dough from bowl. Separate into three equal parts.
- Prepare your pizza ingredients. For the pizza buns pictured we use garlic sausage, mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce, but anything goes! This is going to be just like making cinnamon buns from here on out – only with pizza fixings!
- Take one portion of the dough and roll out on a lightly greased or floured surface. I typically spray my working surface with a little cooking spray or use a small amount of oil to keep the dough from sticking. Roll dough into a long skinny rectangle as you would for cinnamon rolls.
- Once your dough is rolled, you can begin layering your pizza ingredients starting with the sauce. Spread sauce over the dough leaving the very edge of one of the long sides of the rectangle free from sauce so the edge will seal when rolled up. Layer meat, cheese and any other pizza toppings you’d like.
- After all your pizza toppings have been added, begin rolling up the dough starting at the long side of the rectangle where the sauce is all the way to the edge – you want to leave that sauce free edge to be rolled up last. Roll all the way up and then pinch the edges to seal. Now using a small length of dental floss, slice off equal sized rolls.
- Place rolls in a greased baking dish.
- Cover and allow buns to rise 30 minutes.
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.