Our Valentine’s Tree

Last year at the beginning of February we started a little valentine’s tradition.

It wasn’t anything grand and it wasn’t anything that took a lot of time, but the feelings it created in our home were so special that I knew without a doubt we’d continue on with this tradition year after year.

I took a little bit different approach this year, but my hopes for this project were still the same…

-to create a spot where we can leave each other special notes as we countdown to Valentine’s Day
-to cultivate greater feelings of love in our home
-to encourage expressions of love and kindness
-replace a little bit of the sibling rivalry around here with feelings of love ;)

The only difference this year, is that instead of a wall filled with love notes, we’re going to fill up our little valentine’s tree. I made our tree using some branches found in my Grannie’s yard and a ceramic milk jar I picked up at the thrift store.

The kids didn’t have school yesterday, so my 9 year old and I sat down and made these fun hearts for the tree using the left over paper from last weeks valentine’s banner. We made ourselves a template, then got cutting….I’m pretty sure I have a cute heart die cut and a fun machine that would have cut them out nicely, but it’s packed away somewhere in storage and do you think I can find it? :)

So we got the hearts cut out and then we cut out some strips of kraft card stock. We trimmed them to fit across each heart and cut a little triangle out of one end to be all cute. We attached them to the front of each heart for a place to write who our love notes are for, then we added some buttons or staples here and there and that was it. To attach the hearts to our tree I punched two holes at the top of one side of each heart then simply tied them to a branch with bakers twine.

I’m embarrassed to even tell you the supplies I used because they’re so old {I haven’t even unpacked any scrapbook supplies beyond one rubbermaid tote filled with random supplies} but here’s the list:

supplies: american crafts + anna griffin + my minds eye patterned paper | buttons | staples | kraft card stock

Last night we watched this sweet video and I introduced the idea behind our little valentine’s tree to the kids. They’re all so excited about it and so am I.  I just love valentine’s day and I’m thankful for the reminder this time of year to take an extra moment to let the people that mean the most to me know how much I love them.The feelings that were felt last year as we wrote our special notes to each other  and the smiles on my children’s faces as they read messages left by mom and dad or their brother/sisters, are still fresh in my memory and I can’t wait to share this experience with the kids again. :)

What Valentine’s traditions do you enjoy with your family?
I’d love to hear about them. :)
If you’re joining in the month-in-photos project with me this year, the fun is going to start on Wednesday! I’ll be sharing my photo collage for the month of January and hosting a link party where you can share all of your collages too!

If you haven’t heard of the month-in-photos project go here and here to read more.

You can download my free template or use whatever collage format you’d like!
Can’t wait to see YOUR month in photos!

Comments

this is very sweet! I love the idea and can’t wait for my little girl to be old enough for traditions like these :) i picked up some mini mailboxes from target and was thinking of starting a tradition this year too.

what a beautiful idea for valentines! :D I am going to do something similar!!!! for my husband and I! :D So sweet! loved the video! cant wait to make the first months collage :D

Such a great idea!!! I’m going to give it a try. I LOVE your blog and all of your cute ideas! Thanks for sharing them all. By the way I’m a new fan and awarding you the Versitile Blogger award :D
    Sabrina

This sweet little tree and the sweet little valentines to go with it are adorable. I think the fact the supplies are so simple and “old” are part of the loveliness of everthing. I loved how creative you were when you lived in Statia with only a few supplies available to you. Now that you’re back I hope you continue to keep everything so lovely and simple. I myself, have none of the fancy machines that everyone seems to have these days and though I love the crafts created by them, I am much more in love with the crafts you’ve been creating.

Hi Rebecca,

The highlighted link ‘Valentines traditon’ isn’t working for me so I just wondered…do you write nice things to each other on the hearts and then put them on the tree each day?

How sweet is this! Love that you’ve left a pen on the table to make it easy to use. I can see making a cute little 6×6 album with one heart mounted in the middle of each page. Add to it each year (maybe a heart-shaped divider between the years). Most of the work is already done!

Kelly
    NotableNest.blogspot.com

7. Anonymous says

Thanks for a gorgeous idea! My very dear, widowed friend is getting remarried after many years of waiting and trusting and praying, and we are going to make these hearts and peg them to ribbons tied to the tree branches. (She SQUEALED when I showed her this post :D) Each guest will write something special on the back during the reception, so these hearts will become a guestbook filled with love and encouragement for the newly-weds. There will be 300 guests so the grove will look beautiful with the hearts dangling in the breeze!

Jill

What a wonderful idea! I adore it when people put a meaning in celebrating any holiday. Thanks for all the details and great photos. I always wonder where people get the “trees” they use. (I found you via Jen @ TT&J)

Trackbacks