String Pallet Art – follow along with this simple tutorial and learn how to create your own Monogram String art using upcycled pallet boards along with a handful of other supplies.
Hi there! I’m Stefanie with Simple Acres and I’m excited to share this simple and fun DIY project with you! String Pallet Art is so popular these days and I thought it would be a fun project to try. This was my first string art project and it was surprisingly easy! In fact, I found the nailing and “stringing” quite therapeutic. What I enjoyed most was that my toddler, who loves tools, was able to help me hammer!
Old wood is great for this project whether it is some wood pallets or old wood fencing you might have hanging around. If you don’t have any readily available, these items are often easy to find for free from local swap sites in your area. The first step is to take about your wood boards and gather your materials.
nails and hammer
3 spools of embroidery thread
scrap paper and pencil
hardware of choice *optional
- I used boards from an old fence and cut the boards 24″ long. My wood pallet was roughly 24x 24″.
- I cut 2 cross piece back boards roughly 23″ long.
- Once all boards are cut, nail them together with the two back cross pieces. Position them evenly side to side and top to bottom to your preference.
- Sand your wood pallet and measure and attach decorative hardware as you would like
- Measure the height and width you would like your letter or symbol, then draw a pattern and cut it out. (If free hand drawing is not your strength craft stores carry an array of patterns and images that can be traced.)
- Place paper cut out pattern on pallet as a guide for placing your nails.
- I placed nails roughly 1″ apart following the entire interior and exterior of my pattern. Once all nails are placed, remove the paper.
- Using the embroidery string start in one area pulling the string from one nail to the next. I attached my string initially with a knot to one of the nails. There was no pattern I followed when I strung my pallet art. I found the more randomly I strung, the more intricate and unique it looked.
With this simple String Pallet Art you really can’t go wrong…so have fun with it!
I added my Monogram art piece to a Gallery Wall I recently did. You can view here. I hope you are now inspired to create some fun art! For more DIY tutorials check out my Brave and Hello Sunshine Watercolor Paintings!
Hi there, I’m Stefanie from Simple Acres blog. My passion is to bring the journey of simplicity to others through focusing on the things that really matter….the ones you love, the dreams you BELIEVE, and living in the moment with true JOY! At Simple Acres you will find yummy food, healthy living inspiration, art, DIY and family fun on our farm! Please come visit me at Simple Acres, here and come to know me more personally on my facebook fan page, Instagram and twitter! Dovidenia. XO