Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili – this is the perfect fall dinner recipe. Creamy, hearty, healthy, and the slow cooker does all the work!
I absolutely love fall! The beautiful colors on the trees, the cooler weather, and especially warm soup or chili! There’s not much that’s more comforting than the smell of this white chicken chili cooking in the slow cooker all day. And, of course, cooking in your slow cooker is pretty much the easiest way to get a healthy dinner on the table. Once fall hits, my trusty Crockpot is pretty much going non stop and this hearty chili recipe is a family favorite.
It’s perfect for warming up on a cool fall evening. Top it with a little sour cream and fresh cilantro and serve with tortilla chips or crusty bread for a healthy dinner the whole family will love.
- 4 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilis
- 1 pound dried great northern beans, rinsed
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons masa (cornflour) or cornmeal
- optional toppings: grated monterey jack cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips
- Add butter and olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add green chilis and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Set aside.
- Put chicken breasts and dried beans in the bottom of a large (6-7 quart) slow cooker. Add the sautéed onion mix and chicken broth, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. When there is 30 minutes to an hour of cooking time left, mix together the milk and masa and add to the slow cooker.
- When the beans are soft and the chili has thickened, shred the chicken with two forks, stir, and serve with your favorite toppings..
I hope your family enjoys this slow cooker white chicken chili as much as mine does! If you’re looking for other healthy slow cooker and soup recipes checkout a few of my other favorites below. Happy Fall!