Glazed Slow Cooker Carrots – Introduce some veggie excitement to the dull winter months with this deliciously sweet and savory side that’s s breeze to put together!
Hi there – it’s Rachel from Simple Seasonal, back with another delicious, whole foods meal idea for your family!
Have you ever noticed the sad state of the grocery store produce aisle during the winter months? It becomes increasingly uninspiring with its out-of-season, imported, and (frankly) mediocre vegetables… That’s why every winter I embrace the cold-weather produce, like leafy greens and root vegetables. Today’s recipe features a chilly-weather favorite cherished around the world—carrots.
While I was growing up, my Mom would make the most delicious candied carrots for dinner from time to time. (There’s nothing like a little sweetness to make the vegetables go down when you’re a kid.) Since then I’ve come to love carrots, candied or not. But let’s be honest, who doesn’t love a little added sweetness?
My mom’s recipe for candied carrots involved boiling and draining the carrots and then sweetening them before serving. I try to steer away from boiling vegetables. whenever possible, because a lot of nutrition is lost with the water when they’re drained. That’s why I’ve come to love this version of Glazed Slow Cooker Carrots. They’re just so easy to make, too! This is definitely one of those “dump everything into the slow cooker, forget about it for a few hours, and then come back to something super tasty” recipes. That said, the next time you’re looking for a simple, no-fuss side dish, this one’s got you covered!
- 2 pounds of baby carrots, or peeled and coarsely chopped fresh carrots
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ C honey
- 2 Tbsp freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp dry tarragon or 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients except the carrots into the slow cooker and cover. Allow the butter to melt while you prep the carrots.
- Once the butter has melted, mix all of the ingredients in the slow cooker together, add the carrots, and stir until they are evenly coated.
- Cover and cook on high for 1.5-2.5 hours or low on for 3.5-4.5 hours. Adjust the time according to how firm or soft you prefer your carrots to be.