Easy Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is a flavorful Indian chicken dish cooked in a coconut curry sauce and served with rice. It’s incredibly delicious and super easy to make for a weeknight meal.
Hello there! This is Katie from The Casual Craftlete. Today, I am sharing one of my new favorite slow cooker meals. This Easy Slow Cooker Butter Chicken is so good and I highly recommend making it soon. This chicken dish is full of Indian flavors. Made with a warm coconut curry sauce and served with rice, this is a meal the whole family will love.
I love making slow cooker recipes all year long because they are so easy and simple to make. This Easy Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe has about 15 minutes of prep work and a cook time of 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. This recipe uses fresh boneless-skinless chicken breast, white onion, and garlic. The sauce is made with lots of warm spices, coconut milk, non-fat Greek yogurt, and half and half. This chicken dish is definitely not bland.
I like to serve my butter chicken with white rice. I like the texture the rice gives to the dish and it soaks up all that delicious sauce. You can also serve naan which is a oven-baked flatbread that is used to scoop up the butter chicken and rice. Sprinkle on some fresh chopped cilantro for color and flavor.
- 1 pound boneless-skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 - 14 ounce can coconut milk, full-fat or non-fat
- ½ cup fat-free plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup half and half
- sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro *optional
- serve with rice and/or naan
- Start by finely chopping 1 white onion. Place chopped onion in a large slow cooker that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Chop chicken into bite size pieces and place in the slow cooker over the onion.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine minced garlic, tomato paste, spices, coconut milk, yogurt, and half and half. Whisk until well combined. Pour the coconut curry sauce over the chicken. Place butter on top.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours or until the onion is tender. Serve hot with rice and/or naan.