Easy Microwave Caramels

I love making holiday treats, but I’ve always been a little intimidated when it comes to candy making. I especially enjoy caramels at Christmas, but after a few failed attempts at making them, I gave up. That was, until a few years ago, when I discovered a delicious and simple recipe for microwave caramels! We just made a batch of these today and they turned out perfect, just like they do every time!

This is the easiest homemade candy you'll ever make! They only take a few minutes in the microwave and they turn out perfectly delicious every time!

Easy Microwave Caramels

Ingredients
  • 1 c. butter
  • 2½ cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup light karo corn syrup
  • 1 - 14oz can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Instructions
  1. Generously butter a 9x13 inch pan and set aside.
  2. In a large microwave safe bowl melt butter.
  3. Add all the remaining ingredients except the vanilla and mix well.
  4. Microwave on full power for 4-5 minutes. Remove from microwave and whisk. Microwave on high for another 4-5 minutes. Whisk again.
  5. Microwave an additional 4-5 minutes. Whisk while adding the vanilla.
  6. Pour the caramel mixture into the 9x13 inch pan.
  7. Let cool for 1 - 2 hours.
  8. Using a knife, cut into bite size portions and wrap in wax paper. Keep refrigerated.

Like I said, they’ve turn out perfectly for me every time!! It always surprises me when they do, given my track record with making these tasty treats. I think the trick is to take them out of the microwave and stir thoroughly every 4-5 minutes.

If I can make them, then you know this has to be a foolproof recipe! Take it from me, a candy making novice, these caramels are easy and delicious!

To package the caramels, wrap in wax paper and twist the ends to seal. I found these precut waxed twist papers and they make it so easy!

If you liked this post you might also enjoy these simple recipes…

Applesauce Muffins

These applesauce muffins are a go-to snack in our family. My kids love it when a fresh batch of these are waiting for them after school. They’re easy to make, but that cinnamon sugar topping makes them hard to resist!

Simply Delicious Lemon Squares

Simple and Delicious Lemon Squares

Open-Face Swiss Bagels

Topped with swiss cheese, avocado, bacon (and more!) these open-face swiss bagels are perfect for breakfast, lunch or snacktime!

Easy Chicken and Stuffing Casserole

Easy Chicken and Stuffing Casserole.

Pizza Buns for School Lunches

Butter Tart Slices

tart_slices1-2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Rebecca
Rebecca Cooper is a 38-year-old wife and mother of four from Alberta, Canada. As a photographer, crafter, author, and blogger, she finds joy and fulfillment in celebrating everyday moments. She loves to read and eat chocolate, and is a firm believer in afternoon naps. Rebecca shares her family’s adventures, photo tips, simple craft projects + more right here at Simple as That.
Rebecca
Rebecca

Latest posts by Rebecca (see all)

Comments

1. sam b says

Just to clarify so I don’t mess these up – do you add the vanilla with the rest of the ingredients like you said at the beginning or after their third and final run through the microwave?

2. ptidofin says

It seems to be wonderfull!!! I would like to try these but can you tell me what “1 – 14oz can sweetened condensed milk” mean? can you tell in gramms please?
    thank you so much for the recipe!

I think you have just spurred me on to start my baking…My daughter LOVES these and we can never get them just right…We have to try this…today! Thanks so much pinning this for sure! ~God bless~~

4. Judith says

These are so easy, but I have a quick questions. I made them yesterday cooled them, then put them in the fridge, but even out of the fridge for more than 5 minutes they start to melt is that normal? They are still super yummy, just not very pretty. :-)

5. Kathy Ryff says

So easy!! Made these twice over Christmas break! These were easier, much easier than I thought and everyone liked them, which is a risk with some of the PINTEREST/blog recipes!!

6. CT says

I made a batch of this, only I used one cup of brown sugar and one cup of white sugar. It would only be better with 2 cups of brown sugar. The flavor of these caramels is amazing!

7. Jen says

How many watts of power does your microwave need to make these caramels? Our old microwave had 1200 watts and made microwave fudge beautifully! But our new microwave only has 1000 watts and it wrecks the fudge now.

8. Michele E says

This is the second year in a row I’ve used your recipe. I love how easy it is! So much better than continuously stirring while making a batch on the stovetop.

9. Katie says

These are not “just that simple”. In the first paragraph of instructions, you say “microwave 3-4 minutes” 3 different times, without saying why it might be 3 vs 4 minutes, or what texture, result, one might be looking for? I hate these kind of recipes. Tell me why the time might vary as much as 3 minutes total in a microwave (high, low, medium power?)

10. Hilrie Buller says

Thankyou for that delicious recipe!
    Living in Australia @ this time of the year…i think we will all be sitting in the refrigerator together enjoying your microwave caramels!! Have a Blessed Christmas!

11. Yette says

I would llove to try these out. Problem is; although adept in metric, emperial and cups, I am at a loss as to whether ‘1 c. butter) actually means a cup of butter?

12. Tara says

I made these several times now, everyone loves them. I have done them with the 4 min setting and the 5 min setting. They turned out almost the same. Thw 5 min setting may have been a little firmer, bit not much. I have a 1500 w convection oven/ microwave combo. Thanks for the great recipe!

Trackbacks