I love making holiday treats, but I’ve always been a little intimidated when it comes to candy making. I especially enjoy caramels at Christmas, but after a few failed attempts at making them, I gave up. That was, until a few years ago, when I discovered a delicious and simple recipe for microwave caramels! We just made a batch of these today and they turned out perfect, just like they do every time!
Easy Microwave Caramel Recipe
- 1 c. butter
- 2½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light karo corn syrup
- 1 - 14oz can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Generously butter a 9x13 inch pan and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl melt butter.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the vanilla and mix well.
- Microwave on full power for 4-5 minutes. Remove from microwave and whisk. Microwave on high for another 4-5 minutes. Whisk again.
- Microwave an additional 4-5 minutes. Whisk while adding the vanilla.
- Pour the caramel mixture into the 9x13 inch pan.
- Let cool for 1 - 2 hours.
- Using a knife, cut into bite size portions and wrap in wax paper. Keep refrigerated.
Like I said, they’ve turn out perfectly for me every time!! It always surprises me when they do, given my track record with making these tasty treats. I think the trick is to take them out of the microwave and stir thoroughly every 4-5 minutes.
If I can make them, then you know this has to be a foolproof recipe! Take it from me, a candy making novice, these caramels are easy and delicious!
To package the caramels, wrap in wax paper and twist the ends to seal. I found these precut waxed twist papers and they make it so easy!
If you liked this post you might also enjoy…
- Applesauce Muffins
- Simply Delicious Lemon Squares
- Open-Face Swiss Bagels
- Pizza Buns for School Lunches