Instant Pot Green Chicken Chili is one of my family’s favorite soup recipes. Put everything in your Instant Pot and you have a slow cooked tasting soup in 30 minutes.
Like a lot of people, I jumped on the Instant Pot Bandwagon when it was an Amazon Daily Deal a few months ago.
It was an impulse buy – but one that I’ve never regretted (and I can’t say that about a lot of my impulse purchases.) I am always amazed at how often I use it, and how easy it is to use.
So what is an Instant Pot?
It a multi-functional pressure cooker. Don’t be afraid of the term pressure cooker. (I know what you are thinking, you picture the lid blowing sky-high in your kitchen.) They are safe, and have come a long way since our grandmother’s used them. Today’s pressure cookers have built-in safety sensors and can self-regulate. (The IP also can be used as a slow cooker, rice maker, and yogurt maker, hence the term multi-functional.)
They work by creating intense steam pressure, therefore cutting the cooking time of traditionally long cooking things (think large cuts of meat or beans) in a fraction of the time. A pot roast that normally takes 6 to 8 hours can be on the table in 90 minutes. If you’ve ever seen an episode of Top Chef, you will know that a pressure cooker is a cheat way to get that rich, cooked all day flavor, in significantly less time.
I love to make all kinds of things in my Instant Pot, but one of my favorites is to make soup.
I could eat soup every day of the week and while I do love my slow cooker for soup-making, I love that if I forget to turn it on in the morning or am in a rush, I can get a slow cooked tasting soup in 30 minutes. I have started converting my favorite slow cooker recipes for the Instant Pot, and this Instant Pot Green Chicken Chili is one of my favorites. I created it last year and have made it time and time again. Now I can put everything in the IP, turn it on and have the same rich-tasting soup in about 35 minutes. It’s glorious.
A quick note – Be careful when choosing a green salsa. I have accidentally bought some brands that are very spicy without checking the label. Make sure that they are mild to medium. I’ve done this on more than one occasion.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15-oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (1-lb.) bag frozen corn kernels
- 24 oz. bottle chicken broth
- 2 (16-oz.) jars green salsa (salsa verde)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- For serving:
- shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- sour cream
- crushed tortilla chips
- Add everything to the Instant Pot except the cilantro. (Do not fill it more than ⅔ full.) Make sure that the vent is closed.
- Set in on the POULTRY setting. (High pressure, 15 minutes).
- When the pot beeps, release pressure, take off lid. Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add back to pot. Stir in cilantro and check for seasoning.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese, sour cream, and crushed chips.
If you liked this post you might also enjoy…